Home
Gingham Fisheries
Gingham Brow, Horwich, Bolton, BL6 6PJ

Email:Paul@GinghamFisheries.co.uk
Phone:  07970 489418
Download the Leaflet :  Click Here
(Requires the free Adobe PDF Reader)

Carp on the fly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gingham Fisheries Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greenie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Carp on the fly Reply with quote

Being a part-time Coarse Angler / Fly Angler - I've often caught Coarse fish on the fly - usually Roach/Rudd - but recently have been tempted to go for the Carp chasing the Midges and Sedges hatching out on warm evenings.
Last evening seemed like the perfect conditions - plenty of fly life on the water, plenty of fish rising, warm, still.
Loaded up a medium (AFTM5-7) flyrod with a 'plaited' leader (stretchy to act as a 'shock absorber') a 4lb tippet and a black CdC emerger pattern - to imitate a hatching midge.
Had to cast sidewise to get the line out then twitch it at the end of the cast to get it out a few yards from the bank. Fished it just in the surface film - static - then a slight draw to straighten the line out - and bang - hardly a boil in the water - just a little bulge in the water - strike - and it went for the bottom - bumped around there for a bit then took off. Sidestrain got it to turn then it headed straight back to me - for the reeds just to the left of peg4 - more sidestrain to keep it out of the reeds - and off it goes again. This went on for about 10mins (seemed like hours) before I got him in the net.

Weighed 6lb - but looked and felt heavier - seemed a bit skinny after spawning maybe.

The light-medium fly rod performed well and never felt outgunned - but I don't think I'll risk it going for twice the weight!

Image00001a.jpg
 Description:
Carp on the fly!
 Filesize:  116.73 KB
 Viewed:  4894 Time(s)

Image00001a.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gingham Fisheries Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: