Home
Gingham Fisheries
Gingham Brow, Horwich, Bolton, BL6 6PJ

Email:Paul@GinghamFisheries.co.uk
Phone:  07970 489418
Download the Leaflet :  Click Here
(Requires the free Adobe PDF Reader)

Where have all the Crucians gone?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gingham Fisheries Forum Index -> General Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greenie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Where have all the Crucians gone? Reply with quote

Earlier this year every time I fished either the Main Lodge or the Top Lodge I caught Crucians in between Roach and Tench - some of these Crucians were of a reasonable size, so I started taking piccies and sent one off to an old fishing mate who was also a biologist. He replied saying "Nice fish mate - but it ain't a Crucian!".
He then went on to give me a lecture about identification of Crucians and explained that there are a whole load of Hybrids around that get confused with Crucians and even interbreed with true Crucians to form a Hybrid Crucian - hardly distinguishable from a 'True Cru'!
This isn't only happeneing at Gingham - it's a problem all over the country - and has led to a worry that 'TruCrus' may disappear all together!

Since then I have checked each of the 'Crucians' I have caught and have NEVER caught a TruCru since - they have all been Hybrids!

Nowt wrong with these Crucian Hybrids - fine fish - good fighters - but they ain't 'TruCru's!

I have heard some reports from Paul and many anglers at Gingham of good Crucians being caught and would appreciate photos of these to try and verify whether they are 'TruCru's or Hybrids.
As a guide I have listed some of the key identification points of a 'TruCru' below:
- Flat-across Tail fin - like a Tench - hardly any fork
- Lateral line =32-34 scales (sometimes slots '-' are missing) Carp Hybrids are normally 28-31
- Convex Dorsal fin - halfway stands out more than front edge
- NO sign of barbules around mouth
- Diagonal scale count from start of Dorsal fin - Lateral line = 7-8
If I can think of any more - I'll post them on the Message Board with a piccy!

This isn't an exhaustive or exclusive list - but it's a good start to help identifying a TruCru from a Hybrid.

IF you get a Crucian please post a piccy on the Gallery for me to have a look at!
Many Thanks & Tight Lines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gingham Fisheries Forum Index -> General Chatter All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: