Home
Gingham Fisheries
Gingham Brow, Horwich, Bolton, BL6 6PJ

Email:Paul@GinghamFisheries.co.uk
Phone:  07970 489418
Download the Leaflet :  Click Here
(Requires the free Adobe PDF Reader)

Freezing yet?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gingham Fisheries Forum Index -> Fishery Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greenie

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:02 pm    Post subject: Freezing yet? Reply with quote

Hi Paul,
Have we had a freeze-over on the lake, yet, this winter?

What are the last fish to get caught as the temperature drops - I'd guess at Perch or Roach - any confirmation would be helpful 'cos it's usually when the big'uns show!
Tight Lines!

tonyrawly

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:50 pm    Post subject: freezing yet Reply with quote

Have fished it 3 times during the Christmas/new year break last time last Saturday there has been very little ice yet and is still fishing well.On all 3 occasions have caught bream roach and perch and also a tench each time but no carp.Have been averaging 30-40lb on all three visits which isn't bad for this time of year.
Tony
Greenie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Re: freezing yet Reply with quote

tonyrawly wrote:
.....Have been averaging 30-40lb on all three visits which isn't bad for this time of year.

Good bagging Tony - and thanks for the info!
Hope to be up after the Perch in the next few days - there should be some decent ones in there! Wink
Tight Lines!

tonyrawly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:22 pm    Post subject: freezing yet Reply with quote

Think u might struggle to get any big perch but quite a few small ones.Was having a discussion with Paul only last Saturday on that very subject.If I was you I would target the Roach{approx. 1-1.5 lb] or the Bream [ have had them approaching double figures but average 3-4lb].Am hoping to get up there again tomorrow but keeping an eye on forecast.
Greenie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: freezing yet Reply with quote

tonyrawly wrote:
Think u might struggle to get any big perch but quite a few small ones.Was having a discussion with Paul only last Saturday on that very subject.If I was you I would target the Roach{approx. 1-1.5 lb] or the Bream [ have had them approaching double figures but average 3-4lb].Am hoping to get up there again tomorrow but keeping an eye on forecast.

Thanks Tony,
Given that there were some big Perch in there a few years ago and plenty of smaller ones - I don't know what's happened to them - there's no pike in there to eat them! I think people just don't target the larger perch - so I'll have a crack!
I've been unsuccessful with Bream - in that I usually try to avoid them but keep catching them by accident Crying or Very sad - upto 6-7lb!
Might see you up there - weather permitting - forecast is 'changeable'! - poor to bl--dy awful! Sad
Tight Lines!

tonyrawly

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 3:59 pm    Post subject: freezing yet Reply with quote

Just been to pick up some bait so will probably chance it
Greenie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:17 pm    Post subject: Re: freezing yet Reply with quote

tonyrawly wrote:
Just been to pick up some bait so will probably chance it

Good Luck to you Tony,
I tried a few hours to lunchtime - it was wild in the wind! Walking up to the top corner straight into the gale - it started to hale - I was very tempted just to turn around and let the wind blow me back to the car park! Wish I had now!
Paul joined me on the peg after about an hour or so - I think he was just checking wether I was going to get myself committed! Embarassed - 'cos I must have been mad to try fishing in that!
We watched the float going under slowly, then lifting, then going under slowly again - nothing there! There seemed to be an undertow in the corner where the wind swirled around causing the float to do really strange things.
Although the temperature was 5C - it felt a darn sight colder with the wind!
Tight Lines!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Gingham Fisheries Forum Index -> Fishery Feedback All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: